Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Heat wave/Claddagh adventures

So apparently last week/weekend was the extent of Ireland’s summer. “Summer” here means that for one week, it doesn’t rain and the temperature is blissfully warm (i.e. 70 instead of 60). Summer proved to be the perfect time to go to Galway, on the west coast of this lovely island.

Galway offered me my first taste of hostel life, in the form of the Claddagh Hostel. (Note to my mother reading this: it was listed in a guidebook, and therefore clean/legit.) Now I was prepared for some facets of hostel life, like the ten strangers sleeping in one room, one miniscule shower for approximately 25 guests, etc. What I was NOT prepared for was the fact that the workers all cleared out at 11 p.m., which meant that when Kendra and I got back to ole’ Claddagh around 12/12:30 no one was around to unlock the cabinet in which we had stored our bags. Which meant that Kendra and I had no access to a) pajamas, b) face wash, c) phone chargers and d) life. Which meant that we had to sleep in our clothes (read: jeans). And it was pretty much terrible… But it was cheap, and I suppose that’s the point, right? (The next night, we made sure to get everything out of hock in time to snooze in style.)

Galway was awesome, with tours to the Cliffs of Moher (I looove those cliffs), the Ailwee Caves, Doolin and more. But one of my favorite parts of the trip was just sitting on the bus looking out the window as we drove through the countryside. It’s just so peaceful here. Pastoral. There’s just something about watching the animals, the sheep and cows and horses, grazing in pastures, peacefully. They aren’t just being forced and rushed through feedlots in order to fatten up the fastest before going to the slaughterhouse (sorry, Fast Food Nation tangent there). The animals are respected, the land is respected, the farmers and workers and salespeople and businesspeople are respected too. It’s not all about the bottom dollar – at least not everywhere. Americans have gotten so wrapped up in efficiency and economy that they are willing to settle for… well, shit, if it is less expensive and more accessible. It’s so funny because the McDonald’s here are SWANKY. They are super clean, super well equipped (think comfy high stools and nice sit-down tables), and the beef they use is Irish, naturally-grazing beef. And while I haven’t actually eaten at one yet, I have a feeling the food might just taste better too. The Irish just seem to demand better, while we settle for worse.

In other news: I’m sick. But it’s not (snot, ha) the swine.

In other other news: All the people that told us that the Irish aren’t as loud as Americans LIED. At least when it comes to the 20 screaming people directly below my window.

1 comment: